Friday, February 18, 2011

Wire Glass Shelves

This shelving unit came into existence gradually, over the past few months.  It was one of those projects that took longer than it needed to, mainly because I was in and out of town so much, and didn't have a lot of time to spend in the shop. 

I whipped it up from some steel channel stock I had on hand, along with three nifty pieces of wire glass that I had salvaged from a house that was under renovation.  The glass pieces had been sitting around my garage for far too long, and were frequently being moved from here to there, or from there to here, to get them out of the way of something else I was working on or doing.  Finally, one day I just decided to get them out of my way once and for all.






The glass pieces aren't perfect.  They had been installed as part of a skylight system, and have bits of mastic on them that I couldn't clean off in with the amount of time + effort I was willing to invest in them.  Some of the corners are chipped, and the bottom piece is cracked all the way across.

But I don't care.  I absolutely adore this piece.  I'd been planning it in my head for a long time, and once I got into it in the shop, the whole thing came together rather easily.

Someday, I'll probably grind the welds a little more carefully and have the steel frame chromed.  For now, I'm quite content to let it sit along the side of my office, where it makes me quite happy.


1 comment:

  1. One Day Glass manufactures tempered glass, PyroCeram, NeoCeram, even small or custom sizes and all at affordable prices. Please visit OneDayGlass Twitter account for updates

    ReplyDelete