Monday, April 4, 2011

Thumb Update

Nearly 8 weeks ago, I had surgery to repair the EPL tendon in my left wrist.  This is the muscle & tendon that allows you to make a 'thumbs up'.  I had severed it; just partially at first, in an accident at home.  About a week later, I ruptured it (meaning that it completely severed) when I put too much weight on it, not having realized the extent of the initial injury.

I was in a cast for about a month, and then a brace, which I still wear.  The recovery is coming along well.

There have been a few requests lately, via facebook and twitter, for updates on my recovery.  In response, I made the following video yesterday.  It's my first video blog, so be kind!  I've been having a lot of trouble with my home internet lately as well, so I had to upload a fairly low-res version.  I hope to get switched over to a new ISP later this week, and if all goes well, I'll upload a higher quality version of this and replace it.

Big thanks to everyone who has reached out with moral support during this ordeal.  You know who you are!  It really means a lot to me, and I appreciate your kind words and encouragement.


3 comments:

  1. I'm very glad to see/hear that you are regaining the strength in your hand. Yay modern medicine (not to mention neon green silly putty)!

    I'm also glad you explained the Mozart finger puppet. I thought it was cross between a footless Mr. Bill and Einstein!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE IT! The video made me realize how much I miss you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the video! Great to see you are improving -- and just great to see you. :-)

    ReplyDelete